After gently teasing fans all week, Nintendo suddenly threw out a slew of Nintendo Switch announcements via a “Nintendo Direct Mini” video presentation this morning. Nintendo and Japanese third-party partners seem eager to provide the millions of Switch owners with readily available, prepackaged content in the form of ports of games from older consoles (the kind we’ve been wondering about for months).
The trailer-packed 14 minute video is filled with new footage and information, but we’ve summarized the important news below if you can’t watch it right now:
- Dark Souls Remastered: Gameplay details haven’t been given for this game, but given the title it will definitely be a graphically updated version of From Software’s hard hitting dungeon crawler from 2011. The release date is set for May 25th and PS4, XB1, and PC versions will also be available.
- The world ends with you Final Remix: Square Enix’ Nintendo DS cult classic Japanese action RPG is getting an HD remaster with a new scenario that “gets to the heart of the story.” Coming sometime this year.
- Hyrule Warriors Final Edition: This Zelda-themed version of the Dynasty Warriors design combines all the maps and missions from the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game and adds new Breath of the Wild costumes for Link and Zelda. Coming sometime this spring.
- Donkey Kong Land: Tropical Freeze: The tough but fun Wii U platformer comes to Switch with Funky Kong as a new playable character, capable of double hover jumps and ‘infinite rolls’. Next May 4.
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA: A port of the game that recently revived the dormant, long-running Japanese RPG series is coming to Nintendo Switch this summer.
New game announcements
- Mario Tennis Aces brings back the fast-paced, over-the-top, super-power-infused sports franchise with a new story mode that features specific missions and bosses. Coming this spring.
- SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy looks like a female oriented version of the popular one king of fighters franchise, with new Dream Finish moves to round things out a bit. Coming this summer.
- Super Mario Odyssey is getting a new “Luigi’s Balloon World” online hide-and-seek mode as part of a free update in February. One player has 30 seconds to hide a balloon anywhere in the level, and another player must locate it using an accompanying arrow. New costumes and photo filters will also be available.
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle Donkey Kong will be getting a playable character alongside themed content in a paid update this spring.
- Pokén Tournament DX will see new characters and moves as part of a paid DLC Battle Pack.
- Air-driven 2D platformer celeste comes January 25.
- 3D platformer Fe coming February 16.
- 4 Player Co-op Platformer Kirby Star Allies coming March 16.
- Payday 2 is (still) coming to Switch on February 27.
- A demo for Dragon Quest Builders arrives on the eShop today.