Following rumors that the official sequel to Destiny would not arrive in time for the previously announced September 2016 period, Activision formally made the news Thursday as part of its fourth-quarter fiscal report.
The news of Lot 2The “2017” release window – with no mention of month or quarter – also came with the announcement of a previously unmentioned “major new expansion,” which Activision “expects” to launch this year. No name or release window was included with that news. That could very well be bad news for you Destiny‘s “25+ million registered users” that Activision boasted in its statement, who the company says have logged “nearly 3 billion hours” in the game – and eagerly complain about a spate of disappointing limited-time “events” in the game, with especially this week’s valentine-themed snoozer.
Activision has announced good sales news for Call of Duty: Black Ops III, which called it “the number one console game in the world for the calendar year”. The company claims to have released “four of the ten best games on next-generation consoles life-to-date”, including CODBLOPS3 in the top position. In absolutely shocking and earth shattering news, Activision said gamers could expect another one Duty game towards the end of 2016 – designed by Infinity Ward.
Further development of the Guitar Hero franchise cannot be guaranteed, however, as Activision took the opportunity to reveal both the latest Guitar Hero Live release and the last round of Skylanders games and toys “performed weaker than expected, which we believe is largely due to increased competition in the toys-to-life genre and the shift from casual audiences to mobile devices.” The financial report didn’t reveal exactly how much Activision was losing on physical products like plastic guitars and toys — presumably not as much as Mad Catz — but it did point to excitement over the upcoming $5.9 billion acquisition of the mobile-focused King. creators of each Candy Crush game imaginable.